5 Signs of a Faulty Panel You Should Never Ignore

Faulty Panel

The electrical panel is one of the most important elements of your home’s electrical system. It distributes power to all the circuits in your home and protects them from overloading. If your electrical panel is faulty, this can lead to a variety of problems, from electrical shocks to fires. This blog post will discuss the five signs you need an electrical panel repair in your home right away.

Faulty Panel

Circuit Breakers Frequently Tripping

Circuit breakers are designed to “trip” and cut off the power supply when a circuit is overloaded, or there’s a short circuit. However, if your circuit breaker trips too frequently, this could be a sign that your electrical panel is faulty. It could be that your circuit breaker is overloaded, or it could be that the panel itself is unable to handle the load it’s supposed to carry. It’s best to consult an experienced electrician to diagnose and fix the issue.

Flickering Lights

If you notice that your lights are flickering, this could be a sign of a faulty electrical panel. Flickering lights are usually caused by an intermittent power supply. This could be due to loose wiring or a faulty breaker. If the problem persists, it’s best to call an electrician to inspect your electrical panel and wiring.

Burning Smell

A burning smell is never a good sign. If you detect a burning smell around your electrical panel, turn off the power supply immediately and call an electrician right away. This could be a sign of faulty or loose wiring, which can cause a fire.

Rust or Corrosion

Rust or corrosion on or around your electrical panel could be a sign of moisture infiltration. This can lead to a host of problems, including electrical shorts, shocks, and fires. If you notice rust or corrosion, have an electrician inspect your electrical panel and make any necessary repairs.

Age of the Electrical Panel

Finally, the age of your electrical panel is an essential factor to consider. The average lifespan of an electrical panel is around 20-25 years. If your electrical panel is older than this, consider a replacement. An outdated electrical panel can be dangerous, as it may not be able to handle the electrical load required by modern appliances and technology.

Conclusion

In conclusion, your electrical panel is vital to your home’s electrical system. It’s important to pay attention to the signs of a faulty panel and address them promptly. If you’ve noticed any of these five signs, it’s time to call in an experienced electrician to inspect your electrical panel and make any necessary repairs or replacements. Book a service today!

Know When it’s Time for Circuit Breaker Replacement

Circuit Breaker replacement

While it may fail to cross your mind, replacing your circuit breaker is essential to a smooth running home. By routinely replacing your circuit breaker, you can avoid damaging your appliances and minimize your chances of having an extended power outage.

Additionally, since they are often located in less visible areas, you may not realize when an issue with a panel has formed, which could mean a disaster for your home!

Not replacing your circuit breaker can cause flickering lights, poor performance, and more. Here are the key elements you should look out for to know when to replace your circuit breaker:

Circuit Breaker replacement

Burning Smell

If you’ve begun to notice a burning smell coming from your panel or your home in general, it most likely means that you have overheated insulation and wiring. This is an issue that requires you to replace your circuit breaker immediately, as it means your insulation is failing to protect your home from shortages.

In the case of a burning smell, you should turn off your main power immediately and get your circuit breaker replaced

Physical Damage

One of the most dangerous occurrences with circuit breakers is a degraded or melted wire. A melted wire, which can be recognized through scorch marks around the breaker, is a potential fire hazard. Since breakers are responsible for electricity in the entire house, a melted wire can potentially put your whole home in flames.

In this case, it’s essential that you get your circuit breaker replaced.

Old Age

Sometimes it’s not a burning smell or a melted wire which is putting your house at risk – often times it’s simply that your circuit breaker has been installed for too long and is at an increased likelihood of failure. Your circuit breaker should be inspected around every ten years, as this is when they are likely to begin to fail or falter in quality.

Regular Breaker Tripping

Breaker trips are intended to save your home from too much power being drawn in. However, many people have encountered that a simple appliance such as a microwave or a vacuum has been the piece that tips your breaker over the edge to trip.

If you find that a breaker trips every time you use a specific plug or appliance, your circuit breaker is at a much higher risk of failure and should be replaced to protect your home.

Conclusion

Circuit breakers are often tucked away under the stairs or in a low visibility location, which leads lots of people to forget that they lie at the heart of electricity in your home. Since running safe electricity is essential for home life, it’s always vital to get your circuit breaker checked or replaced if you encounter any issues.

If you’ve noticed a burning smell, physical damage, old age, or regular breaker tripping occurring within your circuit breaker, then it may just be time to swap it in for a new one or at least have it checked!

For More Detail Visit Now: McCall Electric

6 Electrical Safety Guidelines You Should Know Before Working with Electricity

6 Electrical Safety Guidelines You Should Know Before Working with Electricity

Electricity is one of the most utilized modern inventions. In fact, most of the other developments are based on the availability of electricity. But handling electricity can be dangerous if proper care is not taken. Health and Safety (HSE), UK issues guidelines for a safer human-electricity interaction. Following are some of the selected points you should know about the electrical safety.

6 Electrical Safety Guidelines You Should Know Before Working with Electricity

Direct Current (DC) vs. Alternating Current

Most people think that DC is safer. In fact, both types of currents can be dangerous and it mainly depends on the voltage.

Is it OK to get a shock once in a while?

Many people think that it is OK to get a shock once in a while. However, it shouldn’t be like this. You do not know when a shock may prove fatal. It is better to look at this site, or one similar, to find a professional to do the job as they are equipped with safety training to work around electricity.

What is the dangerous level of voltage?

Anything above 50 volts can be dangerous to touch. However, even small voltages, like the battery cells in a toy, can cause sparking and fire. So, it is always advisable to take precautions while handling and storing such objects.

Should I do my own electrical work?

Yes, you can do some of your electric work on your own. But it is important to know your limits. You should never attempt to do any electric work if you are not confident about it. If you have any doubts, consult a professional from somewhere like Fixmatic Electric (visit their website) who can give you the advice you need. Usually, electricians advise homeowners to stay away from complex electrical works, which might be dangerous to carry out alone. Take, for example, replacing and upgrading switchboards. This is something that generally involves a lot of detailed work and specialist equipment. That is why it might be better to contact somebody like a Sydney electrical switchboard replacement personnel who has the requisite knowledge and tools for the work.

What should I do if I believe that electrical safety is not being considered in my workplace?

You should draw the attention of the concerned person immediately. If you still believe that the electrical safety is not being considered, you should notify HSE.

How can I know if an electrical equipment is safe?

There are certain checks to verify the safety of electrical equipment. A simple visual inspection can often tell the signs of equipment safety. If you suspect that it is not safe, detailed checks must be carried out. As previously stated, if you are not confident doing electrical work yourself, it is imperative that you leave it to a professional, like those at Electric Work Force Inc for Electricians in Clarendon hills, to undertake safely and efficiently.